So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Donate Now
GARRARD, Sariah Susannah

GARRARD, Sariah Susannah

Female 1832 - 1914  (82 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name GARRARD, Sariah Susannah 
    Born 4 Feb 1832  Diss, Norfolk, England Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    _TAG Set Family Search - 2015 
    Died 19 Dec 1914  Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Buried 22 Dec 1914  Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I20687  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith | Joseph Sr.
    Last Modified 1 Sep 2017 

    Father  (Age ~ 0 years) 
    Mother  (Age ~ 0 years) 
    Family ID F16833  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family CAMPBELL, Isaiah ,   b. 27 Apr 1820, Ridgebury, Bradford, Pennsylvania, United States Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 21 May 1899, Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years) 
    Married 13 Oct 1853  Ogden, Weber, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 13 Sep 2017 
    Family ID F8443  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsBorn - 4 Feb 1832 - Diss, Norfolk, England Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Photos
    Sarah Susannah Garrard
    Sarah Susannah Garrard
     Greenleaf Blodgett Sr and Sarah Susannah Garrard with their son Greenleaf Blodgett Jr
    Greenleaf Blodgett Sr and Sarah Susannah Garrard with their son Greenleaf Blodgett Jr
    Sarah Susannah Garrard with second husband Greenleaf Blodgett
    Sarah Susannah Garrard with second husband Greenleaf Blodgett

  • Notes 
    • SARAH SUSANNAH GARRARD CAMPBELL BLODGETT "AUNT KIT" The life story of Sarah Susannah Garrard Is a one of compassion and service remembered not only by her posterity, but also by the descendants of those she served. "Aunt Kit" as she was lovingly called, received her nickname for carrying a black medical bag or "kit" because of her services as a midwife. She received her medical training while living in Diss, England before coming to the United States. Aunt Kit was the daughter of Susannah Evered Quantrille and Timothy Garrard. She was born February 4, 1832 in Diss, Norfolk, England. The family had joined the Mormon Church and had seen much persecution. In February 1853, the family bearded the ship "Enterprise" and set sail for America. After nine weeks they reached New Orleans. They soon set out across the plains and endured the privations and hardships. They arrived in Salt Lake City September 30, 1853 and came on to North Ogden, arriving here October 14, 1853 That fall Kit's mother married the elder Mr. Riddle and they wanted Kit to marry Sim Riddle. She said "no", and then her troubles began; her mother turned Kit out of her home with nothing to eat and no place to stay. Isiah Campbell and his wife, Phebe, heard of her plight and took her in. In January she became the second wife of Isiah. Isiah's first wife, Phebe then turned her back on Kit. In January 1855 shortly after her first baby was born, she went to work for Jonathan Campbell. He had fourteen in the family and she made a good living there making one dollar and twenty-five cents a week. In 1858, Kit had two children by then, when the move south commenced. She was forced to walk all the way carrying her eleven month old baby; going as far south as Mountain Vill Canyon, living in a wickiup. Upon coming back, they lived in Ogden Valley. Kit lived a very hard life in Ogden Valley, and after bearing six children she came back to North Ogden. Her husband Isiah and his brother Dan came in one night and turned out Kit and her children, locking the door behind them hanging a scythe up so if she tried to get back in it would cut her. Once more she was without food and shelter for herself and her children Soon she went to Brigham Young and obtained a divorce from Isiah. She did everything in her power to gather enough food for herself and her children. On December 25, 1871 she married Greenleaf Blodgett and by him, she had three more children: Evered Elizabeth, Greenleaf Jr., and Emmeline Ann. The family moved to Weston, Idaho for some time where they had many spiritual experiences. They moved back to North Ogden and built themselves a new house. All this time Kit was using her "Godgiven" gift, that of healing the sick. She would ride in the lumberwagon to visit them. One day when she came from helping the sick, there stood a little buggy for her to use in her travels She devoted about fifty years of her life caring for the sick. On April 2, 1896 she, with sisters Mary Chadwick, Sarah Ann Berrett, Ellen Holmes, Mary Dudman, Hannah Randall, Sarah Godfrey and two others were set apart to wash and anoint the sick and to prepare and lay out the dead. As of March 21, 1914 she quotes, "I am in my eighty-third year and enjoying the degree of health that I am." (unquote) For many years, she was a teacher in the Relief Society and did much work in the Salt Lake Temple for the dead. Kit died on December 19, 1914 a true Pioneer woman. Kit's husbands' death date was listed the same as hers. We are in doubt as both dying on the same date. Sketch of the life of Sarah S. Garrard Campbell Blodgett mother of Isaiah Franklin Campbell My father, Timothy Garrard, was born in England on the 10th of Nov. 1800. My mother, Susanna Everet Quantrille born the 31st July, 1799 in England. They were married there in 1827. He, dying there on his 39th birthday, leaving his wife and 5 children. She emmigrated to Utah and died at Pleasant View, Weber County, on the 5th of March, 1887, having se rved as a faithful friend of the Elders in her native land. I was born the 4th of February, 1832, in the town of Diss, Norfolk County, England. I was baptized on the 4th of December, 1852, in the Tinsberry Branch of the London Conference of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints by Elder Waddington who also assisted Elder Maiben in the confirmation. February 28, 1853, we set sail from Liverpool for America. My mother, one sister and three brothers in a company of 425 saints in the ship “International” under the direction of Christopher Arthur. Our ship was twice threatened with destruction with severe storms during the voyage. A young lady Saint on board prophesied that if we would hold a fast and prayer meeting we would be saved, which when complied with, the storm immediately ceased and we traveled 100 miles that night nearer our destination and arrived at New Orleans in due time, after 7 weeks on the ocean. And after the usual outfitting and organizing, we started across the plains. I walked most of the way and when the teams became too thin and weak to haul the load, we were compelled to unload what we could best do without. While crossing the plains we encountered many hardships and very dangerous adventures with Indians-- Many times ourselves and animals nearly perishing for water, it being impossible to get in many places. But through the blessings of the Lord we arrived at Salt Lake City September 30, 1853 without the loss of any of our family after a journey on ocean and plains of 7 months and 2 days. Footsore, tired and worn out we came to North Ogden 2 weeks later (Oct. 14th). In 1854 I was married to Isaiah Campbell in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City and commenced housekeeping with a very limited supply of house furnishings as was usual in that day. The grasshoppers came down upon our crops in such clouds as to darken the sun and we were forced to take the cords from our beds to make a drag and drove them like herds of sheep off our grain into trenches and buried the crickets and grasshoppers in great heaps. At one time through spite or revenge an Indian shot at my head and the bullet fell by my side. I also participated in the move south in 1858, going as far south as Mountainville Canyon and remained there one summer. We lived in a wickiup with my 2 little children, Sarah and Franklin, and in time of rains would hover over them to protect them from the wet. During the hardships and severe privations of 1855, known as the “hard winter,” I shared the 3 pounds of flour allotted me with the widows and orphans that only had bran bread to live on. I have devoted about 50 years of my life, more or less, to the care of the sick and during that time have confined hundreds of the sisters without the assistance of a physician and never have lost one or had a case of “milk leg.” Attributing my success to a blessing of the Lord given me under the hands of Bishop Amos Maycock. My labors in midwifery being confined to Utah and Weston, Idaho. April 2, 1896, I was set apart with sisters Mary Chadwick, Ellen Homes, Mary Dudman, Hanah Randall, and Sarah Godfrey, and 3 others, to wash and anoint the sick and to prepare and lay out the dead, in which I have seen many manifestations of the power of the Lord, having at all times been on hand, day or night, in sunshine or rain, to render assistance in the relief of the sick.

      Susannah Evered Quanterell

      Birth: Jul. 31, 1799
      Diss, South Norfolk District, Norfolk, England

      Death: Mar. 5, 1877
      Pleasant View, Weber County, Utah, USA

      Susannah Evered Quanterell History: by Norman Lee Garrard

      On July 31st 1799 Susannah Evered Quanterell was born in the ancient market town of Diss in Norfolkshire, England to John Quanterell and Sarah Rodwell. She was the 8th child of 10 children. Children in order were: John Miller 1786, Sarah Miller 1788, Jane Morley 1789, Mary Ann 1791, Rosemond Mariah 1792, William Morley 1794, Martha Rodwell 1797, Susannah Evered 1799, Eleanor Farmery 1801, and Maria Miller 1812.
      Susannah married Timothy Barzilla Garrard III on May 5, 1827 in Diss, South Norfolk, England.

      The Garrard family lived in the area of Diss. They raised a large family in the small village of Palgrave on the other side of the River Waveny from Diss. Not being satisfied with the Church of England they joined the Presbyterian Church and were termed dissenters or non-conformist as they broke with the state church.

      They belong to the Church of England. The Garrard's leased an Inn which was located by a beautiful park called the Fair Green. And her father John Quanterell lived next door to them and he was a weaver. The family lived on Cock Street.
      Her Husband Timothy Garrard III died of consumption. With a family to support Susannah went to work as a chore woman and later took in laundry. As the Children grew older and were able to work they each helped out, often not in the most pleasant jobs.

      The family was not poor but it was a struggle to make a living. Even though she worked hard, Susannah also known as Susan, saw that all of her children learned to read and write. This was an enormous accomplishment for the family as many of the people at that time were illiterate.

      In 1850 her Daughter, Caroline Eliza Garrard went to London to live. It was here that she married George Kerrison, a coach maker. While in London Caroline heard the LDS Gospel and was baptized, year later George also joined the LDS Church. They brought the message of the LDS Gospel to the family in Diss, who accepted it.

      Susannah and her family were taught by the LDS missionaries that they should "flee unto Zion" as soon as arrangement could be made. It was not difficult to leave England. Being a Mormon made them subject to taunts, being pelted with rocks, and having their home damaged. Going to Zion also meant an opportunity to make a better life instead of struggling for a meager existence in England.

      Plans were made to sail with other LDS saints on a chartered ship.

      They went to London for a short time and stayed with Caroline and George Kerrison where they became members of the Finsbury Branch of the London LDS Church. They watched in the Millennial Star newspaper about the announcement of Mormon Church Chartered ships. They also forwarded their applications to Liverpool which included their names, ages, occupations, and nativity.

      They were accepted and became part of what was called a "Ten Pound Company" in that they had to pay ten English Pounds for each of them to travel to the Utah Valley. Word came to them in January 1853 that they were to sail on the ship "International" in February. On the trip they had to provide their own bedding, cooking utensils, and other basic articles.

      Information about the Trip to America on the International along with ship manifest listing the Garrard's can be found here;

      On February 28, 1853, the Garrard family boarded the Sailing Ship "International" which was scheduled to take 477 LDS Saints to New Orleans. The traveling family consisted of Susannah (Susan) Evered Quanterell Garrard, age 54, Timothy Barzilla Garrard, age 14, John Benjamin Garrard, 19, William Joseph Garrard, age 17, Sarah Susannah Garrard, age 21 and her sons out of wedlock: Walter age 6 month and Horace Garrard age 2 years. Also on the Ship was Caroline Eliza Garrard Kerrison, 25 and her husband George Kerrison, age 27.

      A tug boat pulled the International out of the harbor in Liverpool and into the Irish Sea. This was the last that the family ever saw of England, except for William who would return as an old man.

      The journey on the ocean was a combination of many new experiences. They had to live in cramped quarters. Fast and Testimony meetings were held. Twice violent storms came upon one of them was such that the Captain (Captain John Brown) said that if they had been anything but a shipload of Saints that they would be at the bottom of the ocean. They held a meeting because of the violence of one storm, and while they were fasting and praying the storm stopped.

      Towards the end of April the ship sailed into the Gulf of Mexico and to Louisiana. Upon reaching land small tug boats came and pulled the ship over the sand bars up the Mississippi River to New Orleans. The Elder in charge of the Saints on board recorded in his journal that, "Never since the days of old Captain Noah had a more righteous group of Saints ever sailed upon the water to escape Babylon."

      The example of the Garrard family, along with the other Saints, was such that during the journey 48 crew members and non-Mormon persons were baptized which included Captain Brown.

      On April 23, 1853 they stepped off the ship and entered New Orleans.
      After a few days in colorful New Orleans they boarded a steamboat with the other Saints and went up the Mississippi to a pioneer camp at Keokuk, Iowa, a short way away from Nauvoo.

      On June 3 1853 they started in Jacob Gates Company which consisted of 262 persons, 33 wagons, 147 oxen, 47 cows, 2 mares, 1 bull, 3 lambs and five dogs. They loaded their wagon with provisions and with a few mementos from England which included books.

      About a month after their trek started they reached the Missouri River and it took almost a week to get the whole company across. At times they had to throw away bedding and boxes to lighten the load. Many times they went thirsty as there was no water. One time they had to buy their way past the Indians with Flour and a few horses.

      On September 26, 1853 they arrived in Salt Lake City. The only ones of the family that died during the journey were Walter and Horace Garrard, Sarah's two sons.

      They camped at Pioneer Square and sold their teams at an auction. Two weeks later they were sent on to North Ogden to build up the settlement there.
      After arriving in North Ogden, Susannah decided to marry a man by the man of John Riddle from Tennessee. Susannah had remained a widow since her husband's death. John Riddle was a polygamist. They went to Salt Lake City where they were sealed for time and eternity in President Brigham Young's office. Also it was at this time that Susannah Garrard had her patriarchal blessing and she was told that her lineage was from Judah.

      Times were very trying for them. In the summer came the flying grasshoppers, coming in countless numbers destroying the crops. They drove them like herds of sheep into the ditches and caught them in sacks which they then tossed into a fire.

      Indians were a constant menace. They camped in groups of three to ten wigwams up and down the water courses in North Ogden where there was forage for their horses. They were persistent beggars and the squaws kept going from place to place trying to get food. The Indian men pilfered anything they wanted.

      In 1887 Susannah died in Pleasant View at the home of her son William. After her divorce from John Riddle she assumed back the name of Garrard and considered herself a widow. She spent the rest of her life living with William and his wife Mary Ann. The last few years of her life she was an invalid and when her grandchildren came she would have them sit on her bed. She was loved by her grandchildren and died a member of the LDS church.

      John Quanterell (1750 - 1838)
      Sarah Rodwell (1761 - 1844)

      Timothy Barzilla Garrard (1794 - 1839)
      John Thomas Riddle (1803 - 1887)

      Caroline Eliza Garrard (1827 - 1908)
      Timothy Barzilla Garrard IV (1829 – 1898)
      Sarah Susannah Garrard (1832 – 1914)
      John Benjamin Garrard (1834 - 1911)
      William Joseph Garrard (1836 – 1918)

      John Miller Quanterell (1786 - 1838)
      Sarah Miller Quanterell (1788 - 1853)
      Jane Morley Quanterell (1789 - 1882)
      Mary Ann Quanterell (1791 - 1828)
      Rosamond Maria Quanterell (1792 - 1880)
      William Morley Quanterell (1794 - 1858)
      Martha Rodwell Quanterell (1796 - 1882)
      Eleanor Farmery Quanterell (1801 - 1841)

      Headstone Issue:
      The headstone was added in the 1980's, by the Riddle decendants, replacing a damaged headstone that just had the inscription, Susannah E Garrard, July 31,1799 March 5, 1877. Susannah divorced John Riddle and reverted back to the Garrard name after the divorce. Also, Unfortunately, whoever did this did not use the correct spelling of Quanterell. This has cause a lot of problems with this linage.

      Ben Lomond Cemetery
      North Ogden, Weber County, Utah, USA
      Plot: A-5-4-4

      Sarah crossed the plaines with the Jacob Gates Company (1853)

      Sarah Susannah Gorrard Blodget Dictated Autobiography
      Copied exactly as found in family records:
      A schedtch of the life of Sarah Susannah Garrard Blodget Caughter of Timothy Garrard and Susannah Evered Quantrille Born February 4 1932 in the town of Dis County of Narfoldk England and was baptized in to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints by Elder Wadinton and confermed by Elder Maibon and Wadinton Finsberry Branch London England on December the 4 1852 in the 20 year of my age the Saints ahd meny hard trying seens and privations in those days such as the braken of windows and throwing rocks and taking the roof of one Sisters house and let her bed and every thing she had exposed to the weather but God with held the storm and sone Man said we had better put on the dam Mormon roof or our crops will burn up and as the last tile was put on it began to rain heavey on the crops this was in the summer of 1851 in February 1853 the Chruch formed a Company known as the 10 pound Company that is We had to pay 10 pounds a persen and We had to pay it before We left our home We went on bord the ship internital in February 1853 and We had two heavy storms at sea at one time the Capton came down and said if We had been any thing but a ship load of saints We would of a went to the bottom one little Girl died and was slid down in to the sea at night We had some good times We had fast meetens and testimona meetens and one Girl Profisied that if they would hold fast and prayer meeten the winds would turn and the next day the Capton came down and said We had gon on hundred miles on our way and there was quite a lot babtised on board Ship and when We was a bout to leave the ocean a steamer tugged the ship a cross the sand bars and up to New Oreleans and up the river to where We got our teams We were on the oacion 7 weeks and 3 days our teams was two yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows a wagon and a tent to ten persons then We started a cross the plains and some days We could not get eny watter for our selves or teams and one time I stood on the tung of our wagon and I saw two squaws a leaden a little white girl a way and I told on them and they lafed over it and one time six big Indens come and set a cross the road and We had to give them flour to let us pass We had to pick up buffolow chips and burn for We could not get eny wood I walked most of the way a cross the plains and two girls and my self started a head one day and We got most out of site of the teams and when the Capton over took us he talked pretty plain to us for it and whe our team got thin and pore We had to sell our bedden and brake up some of our boxes to liten our loads We got to Salt Lake City September the 30 1853 and after our teams were sold at auction We three dollars a peace and in three weeks We moved to North Ogden Where We suffered all the privations of pioneer life by the Idnens and the crickets and the Grasshoppers a taken our crops I have drove the crickets like droves of sheep We used to drive them in to the watter ditches and ketch them in sacks and then burn them and We had to go up on these banches where Charles Jones live and dig segos to boil to live on and when the Indens got so bad that We had to fort up close to geather one day when I was to work a bullet from one of the gunsfell close to my head the fall of 1853 my Mother married the old Man Riddle and they wanted me to marry Jim Riddle and I told them no I would not and then Mother turned me out dorse then I was with out a home or any one to care for me and this was in the fall of 1853 nothing to eat nothing to ware and no place to shelter me from the storm and Isiah Campbell and his Wife Pheba heard of it and them took me in and in January 1854 I went in second to Isiah Campbell and then my truble commenced in a nther way Pheba turned her back on me and when I got married I had a sheetiron camp kittle a broken skillet these were my cooking utencles this was in 1854 and in 1855 when I had a Baby January the 31 then I went to work for Uncle Johnathan Campbell he had 14 in family and I had a good liven there and the 3 pounds of flour that was allowed me a weeak to live on I give to the poore to mix with there brand to eat I worked for Uncle Johnathan for one dollar and twenty five cents a week and I had to work bare footed till I could earn enuf to pay for my shoes they cost four dollars a pare in the year 1858 was the general move south and I had to walk and pack my Baby 11 months old Isiah and Pheby would not let me ride in the wagon with them no would they let my Boy Frank come to me but they kept him in the wagon to make my life as miserable as they could I had two Children at this time We went south as far as the Mountain Vill Canyon and there I had a brush wickeup to live in and when it rained I had to stand over my Babe and let my back take the storm to shelter her from it We staid south one summer when We moved back I went to live in the north end of Ogden Valley and when I had 5 children my self and Frank my Boy Ten years old hauled wood to Ogden to sell to make a liven and our team was a yoke of calves one year old and some times it would be so late at night and so dark I couldn’t see the Boy or the calves I would walk and hold to the hind end of the wagon and my Boy would hold to the near calve bow that is the way I had to work to get flour to feed my Children on and then when I got home I would stand and spin yarn to make them close to ware and the light I had to spin by was from the fire in the fire place I neaver knew what a lamp was and one time while I lived in Ogden Valey I learned that the ground in North Ogden was dry and dusty the snow in the Valley was over the top of the fences so I got up early in the morning ant took my little Children and Started to brake road out to North Ogden and some places I would have to push my Boy up the snow drifts and then he would lay down and reach and get holt of the other Children hands and pull them up to him and then they would take hold of my hands and pull them up to him and then they would take hold of my hands and help me up and it took us all day and till late at night to reach North Ogden then when the snow went of in the Valley I moved out and when I had six small children my husband Isiah and his Brother Dan Campbell come in one night and turned me and my little Children out dorse Dan sed get out of here and they turned us out in the streat and locked the doore and hung a sith up to the windo so if I tried to get in I would cut my self I once more had no shelter for my self or Babes onely the sky and the moon the stars to give me lite when the Men come in to turn me out I was a given my little Children some thin to eat and they turned them out with out there supper then I went to President Brigham Young and got my Divorce from Isiah Campbell then I walked out to Pleasant View bare footed to shuch corn for Amos Maycock to earn some then for my Children to eat and ware in the spring of 1868 I moved to park Valley but that place was not settled up it was onely a stock country so I moved back to North Ogden a gain and in 1871 on the 25 of December I married Greenleaf Blodget We lived in North Ogden till the spring of 1876 then We moved to Weston Idaho We were on the road nine days and one day We had to unload one sagon three times to get it out of the mud and when We got to Weston the Man that promest us place wouldent let us have it so We had to look for a nother place then in 1879 the grasshoppers come and took wevery thing that was planted onely a small pach of peas that my husband put in he run a small stream of watter a round the pea pach and it kept the grasshoppers of and I give lots of peas to the Poore and one day our Bishop said sister Blodget I am a goen to steal some of them peas for they look so temten so I went and picked a pail full and took them over to him then he felt plaged and said that he was onely a Joken now I will go back to 1878 when my Boy Greeleaf got scalded so the skin come of him from his neck to his feet and the meet come out of his little hips as big as your hands and our Bishop Elexander Allen and the Bishoip of Nuten by the Name of Little Wood come in and our Bishop Allen a nointed the Boy and Little Wood sealed the a nointing and he promised there shall not be a scare left on your little body and there haint a scare on him then I commenced to go out a mong the sick a gain and practus Midwifry and kept it up till my health would not permit me to goe eny longer I was blessed or confermed when I was rebabtised by Amos Maycock confermed me and he blessed me and he said that I would bee a Mother to the sick I put four hundred and fifty women to bed with out the aid of a Doctor and I never had a case of milk lage or child bed feaver but I have had some very narrow escapes of my life when I was a going out at night one time in Weston the Man sent a siley Man after me and he wouldn’t go back with out my husband Greenleaf would go to see he went and when We got about two miles from home a big dog run out and bit one horse and started them to run and I tried to jump of but Greenleaf Grabed me and held me on the wagon till the horses kicked the harness and the single trus of then Greenleaf jumped of and grabed them by the bits and then We had to walk a mile father to the sick Women and once some Boys shot a gun of and the bullet went close to me and William Ward so that William was badly scared I have been to lots of conefinements with Docters that I never kept track of I am the mother of nine Children the Grand Mother of fifty six Grand Children and fifty four great Grand children I was a teacher in the releaf society for forty five years ai have done lots of work in the Slalt Lake Temple with my husband Greenleaf Blodgett for our ansesters and I wish I could do more work in the temple and a mong the sick now I wil take you back to 1862 in the fall I went to Salt Lake City and staid there and I gave Brother Joseph Stanford meny a slise of bread and butter now I will goe back to 1859 when I moved to Ogden Valley I onely had one cow and when I onely got a little milk I used to mix watter with it for my Children to eat with there bread and in 1863 I used to give a pail of milk to Dave Eckles I had two cows at this time and the Eckles dident have eny cow and I give Dave and his Brother Stuard meny a slise of bread and butter to eat and in 1882 We moved back to North Ogden from Weston when I lived in Weston I have stood in the door and watched my husband Greenleaf with a wild horse in front on a lot We oned he would saddle and ride the horse I have stood there for hours and watched him and meny a time I thot that the horse would paw Greenleaf under and when he would come in the house I would bage him never to ride eny more and when We got back to North Ogden and when We bilt our house We paid Dave Eckels $75 dollars in gold for lumber and shingles and then We went to Dave and asked him to let us have a small bill of lumber to finish our house se We could move in it and Dave turned us down and said no he would not let the lumber go so We ent to Sidney Stevens and got the lumber and finished the house and moved in in time to east Chrismass diner and the next week my husband Greenleaf went and paid Sidney Stevens for the lumber and thanked Sidney for his kindness to us I used to ride in an old lumber wagon to wait on the sick with out eny springs under the box and when my husband Greenleaf got able to by a cart I thot that I was made and one day he rode in a wagon be hind me and I was a hed of him and he said to him self is that Women worth eny thing yes she is two good to ride in such a cold rig as that and have to hold a paresall to keep the storm of her so when he come home from Ogden he had a little bugy behind the wagon and he told me what he said then I was cometerble and happy when I went out to see after the sick after that and when that buggy give out he got me a nother one and one night as I was on my way home Will Alvord run out and spatted his hands on the back of the bigy and made my horse run with me and my gusband Greenleaf went and spoke to Bishop James Wara a bout it and he said that he would not dew any thing a bout it so Green leaf went to Alvord a bout it and Alvord baged to bee forgiven he said he did not think that the horse would run or he would not of a dun it now I will take the reader back to April 1886 when my boy Fredrick Wife Annie Nelsen had the dropsy I took her and nersed her till august the 27 when she passed a way and I cared for her little Babe till he was two years old and when Fredrick my Boy married Tilley Campbell and she had four Girls and one Boy she past a way and I took the tow youngest Girls and cared for them till he married his third Wife then I kept the youngest aone and rased her tow Womenhood I was set apart and blessed by Thomas Wallace to wash and anoit the aged sisters and the sick in 1885 in North Ogden and held that office as long as I lived.
      Taken from
      Source of Trail Excerpt: Blodgett, Sarah Susannah Garrard, Autobiographical sketch, in Sarah Lucy Bronson Boden and Nina Beth Goe Cunningham, Reid Family History [1972], 55. Read Trail Excerpt: Our team was two yoke of oxen and one yoke of cows a wagon and a tent to ten Persons[.] then We started a cross the plains and some days We could not get eny watter for our selvs or teams and one time I stood on the tung of our wagon and I saw two squaws a leading a little girl of ours a way with them and I told on them and they laughed over it and one time six big Indens [Indian's] come and set across the road and We had to give them some flour to let us pass. We had to pick up buffalow [buffalo] chips to burn for We could not get eny wood. I walked most of the way a cross the plains and two girls and my self started a head one day and We got most out of site of the teams and when the Capton over took us he talked prety plain to us girls for it and when our teams got thin and poore We had to sell our bedden and brake up some of our boxes to liten our loads.
      We got to Salt Lake City September the 30th 1853 and after our teams were sold at auction We got three dollars a peace