So shall it be with my father: he shall be
called a prince over his posterity, holding
the keys of the patriarchal priesthood over the kingdom of God on earth, even the Church
of the Latter Day Saints, and he shall sit in the general assembly of patriarchs, even in
council with the Ancient of Days when he shall sit and all the patriarchs with him and shall
enjoy his right and authority under the direction of the Ancient of Days.
First Name:  Last Name: 
Maiden Married
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

Donate Now
CALLAHAN, Thomas William

CALLAHAN, Thomas William

Male 1813 - 1889  (76 years)  Submit Photo / DocumentSubmit Photo / Document

 Set As Default Person    

Personal Information    |    Media    |    Notes    |    Event Map    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name CALLAHAN, Thomas William 
    Born 20 Apr 1813  Oppenheim, Fulton, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Male 
    _TAG Set Family Search - 2015 
    Buried Nov 1889  Park Valley, Box Elder, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 10 Nov 1889  Park Valley, Box Elder, Utah, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Headstones Submit Headstone Photo Submit Headstone Photo 
    Person ID I20679  Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack Smith | Joseph Sr.
    Last Modified 31 Aug 2017 

    Family SHIPMAN, Lucinda ,   b. 23 Dec 1822, Athens, Leeds, Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 24 Jul 1906, Rigby, Jefferson, Idaho, United States Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 83 years) 
    Married 1837  Lawrence, Nassau, New York, United States Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Last Modified 13 Sep 2017 
    Family ID F8431  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Event Map
    Link to Google MapsMarried - 1837 - Lawrence, Nassau, New York, United States Link to Google Earth
     = Link to Google Earth 

  • Photos
    Memorial Stone for Mary (Reeves) Coleman Godfrey and others
    Memorial Stone for Mary (Reeves) Coleman Godfrey and others
    Photo taken in May 2012, Park Valley, Utah (Old Cemetery)

  • Notes 
    • He was a Private in Company B of the Mormon Batallion

      In the 1860 census he is age 44 living in Brigham City, Box Elder Co a farmer born in NY
      He is living with 16 year old Mary A. Callahan. They are the only members in the household

      Our family records read that Thomas William Callahan was born 20 April 1812 in Oppenheim, Montgomery, New York, the son of Thomas Callahan, who died that same year. He had a brother and three sisters, Frank, Jane, Margaret and Rozina Ann, whose birth dates are approximated on my records. His mother's name and history is unknown, except that she married a second time to a man named Munk. I have no stories of his childhood or early life, nor when he moved across the state, but he was 25 years old when he married fifteen year old Lucinda Austin about the year 1837 in Hammond, St. Lawrence County, New York. He was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints a week after the birth of his oldest son in November 1840 and in the following spring he took his small family to Nauvoo, Illinois to join the saints. He and Lucinda likely traveled in company with her father, William Austin and step mother, Agnes Nicol. A few details of their journey is given in the history of William Austin.

      The Nauvoo First Ward membership records of those who came into the city since 1841 show that Thomas W. Callahan was born 20 April 1812 and that his wife was Lucinda Callahan. The way his name is written on this record suggests he went by the name Thomas. They were living here when their second son Andrew Nicol Callahan was born in July of 1843, and at the birth of their third son Amasa Lyman Callahan in January of 1845. They had chosen the names William Austin, Nicol and Agnes for their first two children, naming them after the parents who had raised Lucinda from the age of two, and it's possible they named this third son to honor the Apostle Amasa M. Lyman.

      Thomas and Lucinda went through the Nauvoo Temple Saturday, February 7, 1846 where records show Thomas held the office of Seventy in the priesthood. "Upwards of six hundred received their ordinances that day, 126 of which were reported in the Seventies Record." (DHC, p 580, vol 7)

      Sunday Feb 8th. Brigham Young addressed the saints in the grove, and informed them the company going west would start this week across the river.

      Monday 9th. The temple caught fire, and Willard Richards called on the brethren to bring out all their buckets, fill them with water, and pass them on. Lines inside were formed and the buckets passed in quick succession. The fire raged near half an hour. It was caused by a stove pipe being over heated. Some soldiers attempted to enter the temple, but were prevented by the brethren at the door. (DHC vol 7, p 581)
      The DHC reads that a number of the brethren were crossing the river in a flatboat at the same time the temple was burning. The saints had gathered several flatboats, some old lighters and a number of skiffs, forming altogether quite a fleet, and were at work night and day helping families to cross the river.

      "The Amasa Lyman Hundred was one of the first groups to cross the river, and left Nauvoo the day the temple caught fire, Feb. 9th." (Madson). She also wrote that William Huntington and family traveled with this company to Mount Pisgah where he was called to be presiding elder at that camp.

      It was during these days that Thomas and Lucinda left the city and became part of the line of exiles stretching more than four hundred miles across the prairies. Thomas was 34 years old and Lucinda was 24. They had no idea where they were going, but leading two small boys by the hand and with a baby in their arms they joined the caravan of wagons soon to be mired in mud all the way across the plains of Iowa.

      My history of Lucinda, by Shirley Maynes, reads that "Thomas and Lucinda had made their way to Mt. Pisgah at the time Captain James Allen arrived and requested five hundred men to volunteer for army service to fight against Mexico where Thomas enlisted, then left shortly for Council Bluffs." According to the Lyman and Huntington journals they left Nauvoo on the 9th and were at Mt. Pisgah when Captain Allen arrived there. William Huntington wrote in his journal:

      "Mt. Pisgah June 28th. A United States officer from Fort Leavenworth arrived with instructions from Col Carney with an invitation from the president of the United States to enlist 500 Mormons to engage in the war between the US and Mexico. I was introduced to the gentlemen, a Capt James Allen, had a pleasant interview with him. Called the brethren together and Capt Allen delivered an address appropriate to his foolish errand. I followed him with an address to commend him (according to his folly) and gave him a letter of introduction to the authorities of the church at the bluffs. He left the same day."

      "Mt. Pisgah July 6: Held a meeting with Brigham Young, Willard Richards and Heber C. Kimball. President Young laid before the meeting the object of his mission was to raise 500 men to go to the Mexican war by way of Santa Fee. raised in all at this point about 80 men."

      "Mt. Pisgah July 9. Those men who had enlisted with their baggage wagon took up a line of march for the bluff where they expect to find Capt Allen. This day, the Twelve, all that had been or came has left this morning for the bluff." (Huntington in Journey to Zion)

      According to Elder Huntington the Twelve left the same day as those who had enlisted in the Battalion, and as Shirley Maynes wrote that Thomas enlisted at Mount Pisgah and then continued on to Council Bluffs, Thomas must have been one of the first 80 to enlist and left Mt. Pisgah with the Twelve.

      Apparently the need for the battalion was not understood by William Huntington. Early in the Fall of 1845 Brigham Young had requested help from the United States Government in relocating the many thousands of people forced to leave Illinois and President Polk had quickly replied by offering to accept the services of five hundred of their best men. Brigham Young urged the saints to support the request because the clothing allowance of $3.50 a month, plus their monthly pay would produce much needed cash to help in moving the large pioneer trains across the west to Utah. Brigham Young and Willard Richards promised the men they would help their families move west if they would join the Battalion, and true to this promise, Lucinda and her children crossed the plains two years later in the Willard Richards Company, so it does appear that Thomas assured passage across the plains for his family by enlisting in the Battalion.

      Thomas marched in Company B under the leadership of Jesse D. Hunter, but no mention of him is made by either officer or journal-keeper. The names of the officers, and those who penned journals are written, along with the name of the unpopular doctor, those who died along the way, a few who did a good deed, or had an idea that worked when one was needed, and an occasional someone else who got into trouble. No mention is made of Thomas William Callahan, or for that matter, Jonathan Campbell, who marched in company E, or John Brimhall of Company C. or Simon McIntyre. (Those named in family records who marched with these men.)

      Fort Leavenworth

      Zacheus Cheney wrote that "tears fell like rain drops as the men of the Mormon Battalion marched away from Council Bluff, Iowa, Monday July 20th 1846." The men took little food and one blanket each, and marched the two hundred miles to Fort Leavenworth, sleeping on the ground with their blanket for shelter. They were issued supplies at Fort Leavenworth, which now is the senior tactical school of the United States Army, located on the west bluff of the Missouri River, about 25 miles northwest of Kansas City. Here they sheltered six men to a tent under a burning sun. "one soldier insisting at 135 degrees it was hot enough to melt cheese." (Azariah Smith)

      Each men was issued $42.00 in clothing money for the year. Those who kept the records noted that most of the Mormons signed to have their uniform allowance sent back to their families and were not issued uniforms nor shoes. "The amount Parley P Pratt took back to church leaders at this point totaled $5,860.00" (Ricketts)

      Lovel Kilpack recently sent a letter to me that Thomas wrote to Lucinda, which shows that he could read and write, and that he apparently spent some of his wages on Lucinda, or that he had taken money with him so he could buy somethings for her once he reached a place where such goods were more available than they would be west of the Missouri where she was going. It reads:

      To Miss Lucinda Callahan Mount Pizza from Fort Leavenworth, August 7, 1846
      Affectionate Companion I embrace this opportunity to write you a few lines to let you know that I have not forgotten you yet. I am in tolerable good health at present and in hopes that these few lines find you and family enjoying the same blessings. I also include in this letter sent by Bro Nathan Stuard thirty dollars and also a Bolt of Cotton cloth and also broad cloth coat pattern one pair of satin with pattern for pants one silk dress pattern and one calico dress pattern and one pair of fine boots. Excuse me for my short address for we are about to leave for Santafae
      no more at present only your effectinate husband until death.
      Thos Calahan to Lucandy Calahan August 7, 1846
      Thos Calahan Fort Leavenworth

      The battalion had more than a few journalists who recorded the ups and down of the march, and it might be well to remember that some of these men were young and unmarried. John Brimhall for one, but trouble-makers were few. A small number got drunk before they left Fort Leavenworth and one was put in the guard house. They were not named. I searched in vain for any mention of Callahan, McIntyre, Brimhall or Campbell, and even Annaretta Brimhall's brother, Silas Harris. Thomas marched away from Fort Leavenworth, August 8, 1846 in Company B.

      Friday Sept 18. Sand Creek, Kansas: The men had been without water 48 hours when they came upon a tainted buffalo watering hole and many became sick after drinking from it. A soldier who had marched to Santa Fe two months before under Kearney and Donniphan described his march over this ground. He wrote that "heat caused sore eyes nosebleeds and exhaustion, while a hot southwest wind drove clouds of sand into the faces of the soldiers almost blinding and chocking them. Some tied handkerchiefs over their faces but it didn't help. The men suffered from thirst as water was scarce. Horses and oxen perished for lack of water and grass, and the exertion in making their way across the deep sand. Wolves followed and vultures circled as the men wore down. After an animal died, his carcass provided a feast for the wolves and vultures and most men who fell by the wayside knew what their fate would be." (Turner diary in Bieber, p 58)

      Monday October 12, 1846 Santa Fe, New Mexico. Colonel George M Cooke took command of the Battalion. When he saw them he rechecked his orders and hired four guides. He left this description of its members.."some of them are too old, some are feeble and some too young. They are much worn by traveling on foot from Illinois. Their clothing is scant, there is no money to pay them or clothing to issue. Their mules are utterly broken down and the quartermaster department is without funds and its credit bad and mules are scarce. I have been ordered to make a wagon road to the Pacific, something that has never been done before by a southern route. I have brought road tools and am determined to take through my wagons." (The Conquest of New Mexico and California, by Philip St George Cooke, 1878)

      19 October 1846. Thomas left Santa Fe the day before his youngest son, Amassa died, still sheltering on the plains of Iowa with Lucinda. At this point the men of the battalion marched into a country that was uncharted where there were no trails. They pushed wagons day after day cutting ruts a foot deep through the sand. "No insects were seen, not so much of a bird of any kind. I would not think that any live things would stay here no longer than it would take them to git away." (John Tippets) Levi Hancock wrote that "..the Mississippi River would be lost in this ocean of sand."

      They were lost by November. Cooks guides had never been in this country before and had no idea where they were so they sent a smoke signal of distress to the Indians who directed them through a trackless range of mountains, where they had to dig their way through rock with picks and axes, taking wagons apart and letting them down with ropes. Cook wrote that "any other company of men would have deserted under these conditions"..

      3 December 1846. The day Thomas's only daughter, Agnes Ann, was born back in Winter Quarters Henry Boyle wrote, "We feel hungry all the time. We never get enough." Later he ended December with this description, "We are all weary & fatigued hungry nearly naked and barefoot, but our burning thirst drowns every other suffering."

      The Pacific Ocean. Nearing the end of a long march.
      January 29, 1847.

      "We have endured one of the greatest journeys ever made by man at least in America. and it is the prayers and faith of the saints that have done it." (Robert Bliss)
      "We have marched half naked and half fed and lived on wild animals and made a road of great value to our country." (Col George Cook)
      Henry G Boyle wrote, "None but ourselves will ever know how much we suffer."
      "Your going into the army has saved the lives of thousands of our people." (Brigham Young, choking back tears.) These words were spoken to the sick detachment when they were mustered out of service in Salt Lake. (Ricketts)

      Cook's wagon road became a major route of travel during the gold rush, and between California and the rest of the country until the coming of the railroad.

      San Diego
      After the Battalion reached California Company B was sent to San Diego. Three companies were sent to Los Angeles to build Fort Moore and Company C was dispatched to guard the Cajon Pass under the leadership of Capt Jefferson Hunt. The records show that Thomas served with Company B in San Diego. The American ship, Congress, was in the harbor and the ship's doctor wrote of the Battalion..."their dress and carriage is unlike any soldier could possibly be. Yet I think if brought into action they would prove themselves good men, as I am told they are generally fine shots. They are bare-footed and almost naked." (Dr John S Griffin)

      The Battalion dug about twenty wells while they were there, and walled them with burned bricks. This was of great benefit to the natives who had been walking long miles in search of clean water. They bricked sidewalks and chimneys and an oven for baking bread, built a brick court house and finished the insides of several of the homes, and whitewashed fences and buildings, opened a blacksmith shop, a bakery and repaired carts, and made adobes to wall the jail, and even made out reports for the military governor, Lt Robert Clit, and helped keep court records.

      Serg. Taylor wrote: "The citizens became so attached to us they got up a petition to the Governor of California to keep us in the service. It was signed by every citizen in town." When Company B left for Los Angeles to be discharged the natives clung to them like children then hurried back and sent an express to Col Cook asking for another company of Mormonitos to replace Company B (Ricketts)

      Bliss wrote: "Col Stevenson gave us the praise of being the best company in California.He said we had done more for California than any other people and gave us an invitation to enlist again for 6 months."

      June 1847. Discharged in Los Angeles
      Battalion members were given a quiet thanks and told they were dismissed. They were then requested to remain and help protect the peaceful settlers in California until a peace treaty could be signed and additional military support arrive.

      Military officers were serious about the offer to re-enlist. Historians have written that at this time "the newly acquired territory of California was a large area of towns without men and forts without soldiers." Kearny met with the Mormon Battalion Officer, Captain Jefferson Hunt, and asked him to deliver a message to Brigham Young requesting his assistance in securing California. He expressed hope that at least the men without families would remain in the army until a peace treaty could be signed. He reported that Issac Williams had offered to sell land to the Mormons sufficient to support fifty thousand families.

      Eighty one re-enlisted and the others started back to their families where they met James Brown in the mountains with a letter from Brigham Young asking as many as could to remain in California as there was no food or water to be had in Salt Lake where he had just arrived. At this point the men turned back and found work, and most of those who continued on to Utah moved quickly from Salt Lake to Iowa to their families. Jonathan Campbell returned to Salt Lake to care for his motherless children, while Thomas W. Callahan and Silas Harris re-enlisted for another six months.

      The Mormon Volunteers June 1847-March 1848

      Captain Jesse Hunter of Company B was the first to volunteer. A dozen members of his company quickly followed him and Thomas was among them.

      Henry G Boyle wrote: "I do not like to re-enlist but I had no relatives in the church to return to. It is impossible for us to leave here with provisions to last any considerable length of time. (we need) a sufficient number of us to remain together, than to scatter all over creation. So we have all enlisted that are going to stop in this lower country."

      Boyle's words hint the men had made their choice based on two problems they recognized and apparently had discussed.
      1. They would need provisions to last a while if they joined Brigham Young and they had none.
      2. They needed enough re-enlisted men to make a company. This way the young men without families who could remain would not have to serve with regular personal who would mock their attempts to live gospel standards. This would have been a concern to Latter Day Saint military leaders who would be leaving the youngest men in their charge behind.

      San Diego Again

      The Volunteers were issued uniforms and sent back to San Diego to protect the citizens, who rushed out to welcome them back. The men again helped the natives when not assigned to military duty. Card playing was not allowed and there was no serious problems. I looked intently for any mention of Thomas, good or bad, but didn't find it.

      Boyle: "Our term of enlistment is nearly up. I have been at work with others of my brethren making bricks. I have also been white washing. I have white washed nearly all the town. We did their black smithing, baking, made and repaired carts and did all we could to benefit ourselves as well as the citizens. We never had any trouble with Californians or Indians."
      The military governor of California praised the volunteers and expressed his gratitude to them for respecting the rights and feelings of a conquered people, while Colonial Stevenson wrote they had been faithful to the trust of others in them, and there had not been one useless man among them.
      Ventiurs wrote: "The Mormon Volunteers played a unique roll in the history of the American Southwest, and whether their descendants became Californians or Utahans, all can take pride in their accomplishments."

      The Muster Out roll shows the name Thomas Callahan, private. The name is written Thomas William Callahan on Tyler's list.

      Discharged Again

      March 1848. The military leaders in California wanted the Mormon Volunteers to re-enlist so Jefferson Hunt made a quick trip to Utah to learn Brigham Young's feelings. He returned in company with Porter Rockwell with a letter from Brigham Young requesting the men to return to Utah and help in building the settlements there.

      The Volunteers were discharged March 14, 1848. They went to Williams Ranch where they worked a short time acquiring funds, then thirty five of them under the leadership of Porter Rockwell arrived in Salt Lake June 5, 1848. Lucinda arrived in Utah four months later, sometime during the month of October 1848, and found that Thomas had not returned in June with the thirty-five volunteers, so during the winter of 1849 she married Jonathan Campbell.


      Forty-two volunteers stayed in California, after thirty five of their numbers had returned to Utah and Ricketts names only eight of them, writing that other records will need to surface before we can safely identify the rest. Thomas is not on the list of eight so we will have to search further to document this adventures. We might consider two places where we might find his name.

      1. Williams Ranch. We have found the name of Thomas listed with the volunteers, and if it is true that all the volunteers went to Williams Ranch after they were discharged, but only thirty five of them returned to Utah, then that might be where Thomas remained.

      2. San Bernardino and Amasa Lyman.
      Historians write that both Jesse D Hunter (Thomas's commanding Officer) and Jefferson Hunt remained in California, living in San Bernardino, among former Battalion comrades and it could be that Thomas was among them. During these years we have no record of him Thomas might have been taking part in the growth and demise of the San Bernardino Colony developed by Charles C Rich and Amasa Lyman. These brief views of history hint that Lucinda and Thomas were on friendly terms with the Amasa Lyman family, where I suspect she rendered services as a mid-wife. Think about it:
      1. Thomas had given his third son the name Amasa Lyman Callahan in 1843
      2. He and Lucinda left Nauvoo November 9. 1846 likely with the Amasa Lyman Hundred wagons to leave the city. (DHC)
      3. Both men were at Mt. Pisgah when Col. Allen arrived to enlist men to serve with the United States Army.
      4. They left Mt. Pisgah together. The apostle with the Twelve and Thomas to be inducted into the Battalion at Council Bluffs.
      5. Lucinda and two of her children crossed the plains to Utah with the Willard Richards Company where Eliza Lyman gave birth while on the trail possibly aided by Lucinda. The names of Eliza Lyman and Lucinda Callahan both appear on the list of those in the Willard Richards Company to arrive in Salt Lake October 1848.

      History: Amasa Lyman and Charles C Rich lead a colony of Mormon settlers to California. The two apostles with the help of Jefferson Hunt and other Battalion members who knew the trail well led a company of nearly four hundred settlers into California in 1851. They labored a thousand days building a logging road into the San Bernardino Mountains, then built another road that ran from San Pedro harbor through the Cajon Pass towards Utah and started a freight line between San Bernardino and Los Angeles. (Lyman & Reese).

      It's possible Thomas helped escort these settlers from Utah and then worked on building the roads, hauling freight or mail during these years that San Bernardino was a hub of activity in Southern California. Amasa Lyman returned to Utah in 1857 when Brigham Young requested they return. I have found a web page which claims that Thomas returned to Utah in 1858 in the Eli Whipple Company. It reads in part, "They left Redwood City, California with 19 missionaries and a few families. They traveled down the San Joaquin Valley, crossing Tejon Pass, and were joined by a few others going across the Mojave Desert to Utah. They reached Cedar City in late May 1858 and most of the company traveled north to Salt Lake City." (Pioneer Overland Travels)
      The source for this information was the Sixtus Ellis Journal, vol 3, which reads that "Brothers King Bell and myself of the Sandwich Island Mission, and Brother Carlson a Norwegian and Callahan one of the Battalion boys all started together with our team, a wagon and 5 horses. Monday 22 this morning Brothers Calihan and Binly were rebaptised ... after which we passed through the Pichieheu Pass 16 miles to the San Louis ranch ..."
      (source: Johnson, Sixtus Ellis, Journal, vol 3, in Diaries 1854-1857.)

      This source is used to show that Thomas William was a member of the Whipple Company, but the name is not written fully in the journal leaving us to assume it was Thomas being written of. He is listed as one of the Battalion boys, which leaves a hint Thomas remained with Battalion members during the ten years between 1848 when he did not return to Utah, and 1858 when the Whipple Company left California. I don't know why he chose not to return in 1848, but it's possible he knew of Lucinda's marriage to Jonathan Campbell in 1849 and found no reason to return after that date.

      The Journal reads he was re-baptized which was a common practice of the day when early saints believed it would help them repent. It took a while to understand the ordinance did not need to be repeated as a remission of sins is promised in the first baptism when repentance is sincere. However this line is a hint he took steps to improve his behavior and shows us he had a desire for change. Euroca Brimhall Dickson told me that heavy drinking had been a problem in his marriage to Lucinda, and as I have read the histories of his sons it appears the problem surfaced in their lives.


      Thomas married Mary Ann Grover in 1860. They lived for a short time in Smithfield, Cache County and while here a son, Joseph William, was born to them. Not long after that they homesteaded a ranch in Park Valley, Box Elder County Utah where historians write that William Calahan and his son, Andrew, were among the first settlers. (Carter)

      A large portion of the Ogden valley had been purchased by James Brown at Brigham Young's request with money earned by the Battalion members and many of them settled in this northern part of Utah, which is likely the reason Thomas settled there. The northwest section called Park Valley was surrounded by high mountains and covered with grass and historians have written that it became home to thousands of sheep and cattle. The first settlers lived on isolated ranches and along mountain streams where they fenced meadows, cleared sagebrush and planted crops.

      The first church meetings were held in the home of Thomas Dunn in 1871 (2nd Corporal in Company B of the Mormon Battalion). Meetings were held one month at Rosette and the next at Park Valley. "The mining industry thrived early in this valley producing ore, gold, silver lead and copper." William Callahan and Amasa Callahan are listed among the local men who were employed to freight supplies to and from the mines. (Huchel)

      Mary Ann died in 1885 and Andrew Nicol Callahan left Park Valley in 1884, so Thomas might have lived alone these past few years or with his youngest son, Joseph William. He died in 1889 and was buried in Park Valley.

      1. Hazelton and Maria Campbell wrote that after Thomas returned to Utah he had two or three other wives with whom he lived. I can find no evidence for marriages other than to Lucinda and Mary Ann Grover. It's possible that when he returned to Utah from California he helped another family make the trip and this gave rise to the rumor.

      Still, he was only 37 years old when Lucinda married Jonathan Campbell and he easily married again. After their first discharge in 1847 Battalion members were back and forth between California and Utah, hauling freight, seeking answers about re-enlistment and purchases they wanted to make in California, and Thomas could have been one of them. The news of Lucinda's marriage to Jonathan Campbell must have reached him near the time of the marriage, so he had small reason to return to Utah after that date.

      2. Why didn't Thomas return to his family in July of 1847?
      He wasn't needed, so he didn't qualify to return. The request was made that those who were not needed by their families remain and guard the peaceful settlers of the newly acquired California territory. He knew that Lucinda had a secure way to cross the plains. Her parents were moving west and she was their only child, though it's apparent from family records that William Austin had assumed the responsibility for his sister-in-law and her family only two weeks before Thomas enlisted in the Battalion.

      Brigham Young and Willard Richards promised Thomas when he enlisted they would help his family and the record showing she crossed with the Willard Richard Company testifies they did. Euroca Brimhall Dickson told me that Lucinda's skill as a mid-wife was a factor in her early removal to Utah where her services as a mid-wife would be needed, so if Thomas were to ask himself where he was needed? The answer was easily California, where military leaders had been quick to show him a need for his support.

      A second reason was he had no means to support himself. Boyle's journal hints the men were aware they needed to provide for themselves if they did return as there was no means of support in Utah and those first settlers in Utah could not afford another mouth to feed. The message Brigham Young sent with James Brown stressed this truth, causing half those who were returning to turn back and validating the decision to remain, so it had made sense to re-enlist and protect those in California who needed that help.

      But that doesn't answer our question. Why didn't he send messages to Lucinda with the numerous back and forth trips the Battalion members were making and why did he remain in California after his last discharge? At this time Brigham Young told the volunteers to return and Lucinda was still waiting. Perhaps if we knew why he volunteered for that adventure in the first place we might understand why he never returned. These views of history show us he likely lived an interesting life but lacking family stories or historical records which bear his name we know little about him. ..............................................................................
      Sources and Other Works Cited:
      1. History: Mormons and Their Neighbors, Brigham Young University Library, Provo, Utah, LDS Reference Table, bk 978/D32w
      2. J. Fish Smith, Pioneers of Southeast and Rocky Mountain Regions, FHL film 1059486, item 2, Brigham Young University Library, Provo, Utah LDS Book Area: 304,897 F527Q
      3. Nora Baldwin Ricketts, The Mormon Battalion U. S. Army of the West 1846-1848 (Utah State University Press, Logan, Utah 1996) Weber County Library 2464 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden Utah 84401
      Note: Quotes from battalion members were largely taken from this book, though I read many of their original journals looking for the name Thomas W Callahan.
      4. Military Record: Mexican War Veteran Pension Applications - Index (Microfilm) National Archives & Record Collection, Central Services Administration, FHL film 1205338
      5. Frederick M Huchel, A History of Box Elder County (Utah Centennial History series) p 364, Weber County Public Library 2464 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden Utah 84401
      6. Bieber: The Southwest Historical Series, Edited by Ralph P. Bieber, vol three. 1934 Arthur H Clark Co. This work contains the Journal of a soldier under Kearney and Doniphan 1846-1847, by George Rutledge Gibson.
      7. Vurtinus: The Mormon Volunteers: The Recruitment and Service of a Unique Military Company, by John F. Vurtinus, Professor at Arizona College of Technology. Downloaded from the Interenet 7/1903 from
      8. The Journal of Robert S. Bliss with the Mormon Battalion, Utah 9. Historical Quarterly, 4 July and October 1931. See also William Hyde, Private Journal of William Hyde (Typescript: BYU June 22, 1847)

      Other Works Consulted
      1. Interviews with Euroca Brimhall Dickson, Enumclaw Washington. She was my mother-in-law. She told me Lucinda was a mid-wife in the home of early church leaders and this was the reason she left Nauvoo with the first companies to leave the city.
      I searched the records listed below and many others seeking information on Thomas William Callahan.
      2. Nauvoo First Ward Membership Record : A record of those who came into Nauvoo since 1841. FHL film 889,392 reads: Thomas W Callahan and Lucinda Callahan
      3. Nauvoo Temple Register p 328 Thomas Callahan born 2 Apr 1812 (Ward record only) 7 Feb 1846 Third Company. Priesthood Seventy.
      4. Mormons and their Neighbors An index to over 75,000 sketches from 1820 to the present. LDS Reference Table bk 978/D32w pg 199.
      5. Smith: Pioneers of Southeast and Rocky Mountain Regions, by J Fish Smith, 1972.
      6. Madsen: Journey to Zion, by Carol Cornwell Madsen, 1997. Desert Book Company, Diary of William Huntington.
      7. Maynes: Shirley N Maynes, Five Hundred Wagons Stood Still. Corporate Edge Printing, Weber County Public Library, 2464 Jefferson Avenue, Ogden, Utah 84401
      8. Babbitt: Early Days at Council Bluffs, by Charles H. Babbitt, (Pottawattamie County, Iowa (Glen Web Project)
      9. History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol 7, (DHC) Intro and notes by B H Roberts, 1932. Desert News Press.

      When the Mormon Battalion was mustered out of service at Los Angeles, on the expiration of their term of service, July 16, 1847, the opportunity was given them to re-enlist for during the war. The Church Officers did not favor their continuing in service, but enough finally enrolled themselves to make up a company.
      DANIEL C. DAVIS, formerly Captain of Company E, became Captain of the new company, and the other officers, non-commissioned officers and privates were pretty well distributed among the old companies. The Muster Out Roll shows that the company was all enrolled July 20, 1847, at Los Angeles, Cal., by Captain D. C. DAVIS, and that all were mustered into service on the same date and at the same place by A. J. SMITH, First Lieutenant, First Dragoons.
      The Roll also shows that all were mustered out with the company March 14, 1848, at San Diego, Cal., except Lieutenant ROBERT CLIFT, detached, and two deaths. The Muster Roll concludes with the following ending: ‘This company was mustered into service, pursuant to authority of Colonel MASON, on the 20th day of July, 1847, for one year, they reserving a right to claim a discharge on the first of March, 1848, and the transportation allowance for Volunteers to be allowed them either to the Bay of San Francisco, or the Great Salt Lake, into which the Great Bear River empties. In the month of November, 1847, they were advised that, if they were discharged before the expiration of one year, they would not receive either bounty land or Government script. They claimed their discharge on the 1st of March, thereby agreeing to relinquish all claims to land or script, and have received their transportation allowance of 50 cents for every twenty miles travel home (to the Great Salt Lake).’

      Temple work has been done for Thomas William Callahan several times at these locations: IFALL, ATLANTA, JRIVE, OGDEN, SLAKE.

      Thomas William Callahan was born and raised in New York. It was there he met Lucinda (Shipman) Austin and they had their first child, Alma Austin. Lucinda was the illegitimate daughter of Olive Lee, who evidently had married Daniel Shipman. Lucinda was raised by William Austin; thus, the exact parentage of Lucinda is an open question. Thomas William and Lucinda joined the LDS Church in about 1840 and we find them in Nauvoo, Illinois in 1842. The Austin’s evidently joined the Church at the same time and traveled with them to Nauvoo. The next two children, Andrew Nicol and Amasa Lyman, were born in Nauvoo. Amasa lived less than a year. After leaving Nauvoo, and while at Mt. Pisgah Thomas joined the Mormon Battalion. This left Lucinda to travel the rest of the distance to Utah alone. Another child, Agnes Ann, was born to this union near Council Bluffs. Thomas’s leaving marked the end of this family relationship, as Thomas never returned to Utah for 13 years and Lucida, thinking he had died or deserted her remarried. Thomas probably was prospecting for gold in the Sacramento area. Lucinda married Jonathan Campbell in 1849. Lucinda had 7 more children by this marriage. Andrew Nicol was raised in the Campbell home. The Campbell’s lived first in Salt Lake City and then moved to North Ogden in about 1853. Thomas William married Mary Ann Grover in 1859. While living in Smithfield, Utah a son named Joseph William (1863) was born. Later (after 1871) he moved to Park Valley, Utah. It could be that he followed the path of his children by Lucinda to be near them. Lucinda also moved to Park Valley about 1871 without Jonathan, and before his death in 1886. It was here that Thomas William died and was buried in 1889.

      Added by Lovell Killpack: (Additional research notes)
      BIRTH: TIB 1,262,764; Patron Sec FGS 1966 (Parents not shown) Film 34260-130; Nauvoo Temple Sealing to Lucinda 7 Feb 1846 gives his birth as 28 Apr 1812.

      MARRIAGE: (1) Nov 1839 Lucinda "Shipman" AUSTIN (div) (2) abt 1865 Mary Ann GROVER (div); Early Church Memberships- Susan W. Easton (Father: Thomas Callahan)

      Nauvoo Endowment: Film 1033997, Page 328, Ref. No. 2

      NOTE: Susan W. Easton: Thomas William CALLAHAN was a Private in Company B of the Mormon Battalion. (He re-enlisted at Los Angeles, after arriving earlier at San Diego, California).

      DEATH: Heber Rose Delta, UT 84624;
      Note: There is a marker 20 feet west of the gate that gives the names of those buried there. The cemetery has not been used in about 100 years and all of the individual headstones have been removed.

      Lynn Ransom Burton 1994: "Thomas deserted his first wife and family so Lucinda and her children were sealed to her second husband, Jonathan Campbell (wife sealed 15 Sep 1852, Salt Lake, children sealed 18 Jun 1924)"
      NOTE: the 4 children born to Thomas William CALLAHAN and Lucinda SHIPMAN or AUSTIN were sealed along with Lucinda to Jonathan CAMPBELL Jr. 19 Jun 1924 Logan Temple.

      NOTE: (NOT OUR FAMILY) 1881 Canadian Census Household Record FHL Film 1375874 NA Film No. C-13238 Dist 121 sub dist B Div 2 page 66 household no. 324 (Place of census Trenton, Hastings West, Ontario) shows the following family, birth year abt 1809 for Thomas: "Thomas Callahan, widowed, male, Irish, age 72, birthplace Ireland, occupation Laborer, religion Roman Catholic; James Callahan, male, Irish, age 34, birthplace Ontario (Canada), Laborer, Roman Catholic; Margaret Callahan, female, Irish, age 28, birthplace Ontario, Roman Catholic; Ellen Callahan, female, Irish, age 26, birthplace Ontario, Roman Catholic.